|ENGL4833W||MILLER, DEBORAH||MWF||11:15 AM||0327|
ENGL 4833W Composition Theory and Pedagogy
Fall 2017, MWF 11:15-12:05 #17079 Park 327
- Contact Information:
- Dr. Deborah Miller
- Office: Park Hall 128
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Hours: Monday 9-11AM; Tuesday 2-3PM (and by arrangement)
Brief Course Description:
English 4833, “Composition Theory and Pedagogy,” is an introduction to the history, theory, and teaching practices of college writing. Our primary goal is to develop your knowledge and understanding of the vocabulary and traditions of college composition theory and teaching (aka pedagogy). ENGL4833 also has a strong practical emphasis: you will learn a variety of techniques for tutoring, supporting, and teaching college writing. This course prepares students for writing instruction internships and apprenticeships.
- Reading, discussion, and writing in varied formats and venues about composition history, theory, pedagogy, and research.
- Classroom observations and reports about teaching and tutoring (ENGL1101, Writing Center tutoring, and/or other writing venues)
- Practice tutoring and grading
- A course project – TB Discussed
Specific Course Requirements & Grade Weights:
- 15% Daily Assignments and Low Stakes Writing
- 25% Two Hourly exams (one in class and one in class & take home) 9/21 and 11/2
- 25% Three detailed observation reports (thick description) Due 9/23, 10/17, and 11/14
- 10% Teaching/presentation-demonstration
- 25% Course project (with proposal, drafts, peer reviews, & presentation) Final - Due 12/12
Some course texts (PDFs drawn from many of these):
- Tate, Gary. A Guide to Composition Pedagogies. Oxford UP, 2001
- Kennedy, George. Aristotle On Rhetoric: A Theory of Civic Discourse, USA: Oxford UP, 1991
- Miller, Susan. The Norton Book of Composition Studies. Norton, 2009.
- Murphy, James J. A Short History of Writing Instruction: From Ancient Greece to Modern America, 3rd Ed. NY: Routledge, 2012
- Ong, Walter. Orality and Literacy, 2nd Ed. Routledge, 2002.
- Ryan, Leigh. The Bedford Guide for Writing Tutors, 5th Ed
- Bizzell, Patricia and Reynolds, Nedra. The Bedford Bibliography for Teachers of Writing, 7th Ed.
- Villanueva, Victor & Kristin L. Arola. Cross-Talk in Comp Theory: A Reader; 3rd Edition